Recently, the EBSCOhost databases have been randomly generating login errors for users who are off campus.
The problem seems to be cache-related. If EBSCOhost tells you “A System Problem has Occurred” and asks you to login again, this should resolve the issue:
For Internet Explorer 8 or 9:
- Open Tools>Internet Options from the IE menu bar
- Under the General tab, choose Browsing History DELETE
- UNCHECK the box for Preserve Favorites website data
- CHECK the boxes for Temporary Internet files, Cookies, and InPrivate Filtering data
- Click DELETE button
- Close all IE windows, open a new IE window, and try logging into EBSCOhost now.
For Firefox, recent versions:
- Open Tools > Options from the Firefox menu bar
- Choose the Privacy option
- Click “Clear your recent history”
- If necessary, click “Details” to unfold the options.
- Make sure that only the boxes for “Cache” and “Cookies” are checked.
- Click the “Clear Now” button
- Click OK
- Close all Firefox windows, open a new Firefox window, and try logging into EBSCOhost now
If you still get the error in your new Firefox window, repeat the entire process a second time; some newer versions of Firefox seem to have trouble clearing the cache.
For Safari, recent versions:
- From the Safari menu, select “Reset Safari… “
- From the menu, select the items you want to reset, and then click Reset. As of Safari 5.1, “Remove all website data” covers both cookies and cache.
Still no luck? Try switching to a different browser–if you usually use Firefox, use Internet Explorer or Chrome instead, and vice versa.
Questions? Contact Stacy Magedanz, email@example.com