CSUSB Students: Check-Out Policies
Currently registered CSUSB students.
Can I renew the items I check out?
Yes, in most cases unless there is a hold on an item or some other restriction applies. Ordinary books and art prints will automatically renew once.
Can I check out library materials from other libraries?
Your Coyote OneCard is good at all CSU libraries, however, contact the library in question to determine if they require any additional documentation for verification such as your current class schedule, etc. Some local libraries participate in the Inland Empire Academic Libraries Cooperative (IEALC); Apply at the Check-Out Desk for the special IEALC card. You can print the IEALC Privileges Application, fill out, and bring with you.
Loan Periods by Type of Material
- Books: 6 weeks + 1 auto-renewal
- Featured Books: 30 days, no renewals
- Course Reserves: 2 hours or 24 hours, no renewals
- Periodicals: Featured Magazines (but not most recent issues*) 1 week
- Art Prints: 6 weeks + 1 auto-renewal
- Laptops: 4 hours
- Calculators: 4 hours
- iPads: 4 hours
- Multimedia Equipment: 3 days, 1 renewal
- GoPro Cameras: 7 days, no renewals
- Media (DVD, Blu-ray, VHS, CD, Tapes): 30 days, no renewals, limit of 5
*Most recent issues have plastic covers.
- Books: $0.25 per day, per item; maximum of $10 per item.
- Course Reserves:
- 2 hour loan, $2 per hour, per item; Maximum fee of $100 per item
- 24 hour loan, $1 per hour, per item; Maximum fee of $100 per item
- Featured Books: $1 per day, per item; maximum of $10 per item.
- Featured Magazines: $1 per day, per item; maximum of $10 per item.
- Media: $2 per day, per item; maximum of $26 per item.
- Laptops: $10 per hour, per item; maximum of $480 per item.
- Calculators: $10 per hour, per item; maximum of $120 per item.
- iPads: $10 per hour, per item; maximum of $480.
- Multimedia Equipment: $10 per hour, per item; maximum of $480
- GoPro Cameras: $50 per day, per item; maximum of $400 per item
Lost or Damaged Fees
- Cost of repair or replacement plus $15 service charge per item.
- Boxed DVD sets with one or more missing discs: replacement cost of entire set plus $15 service charge.
- Laptops: up to $1,300 for laptops, $40 for Kensington locks, $80 for power chargers
- Calculators: replacement fee of $150
- iPads: Up to $520 for iPads with cases, up to $340 for iPads Minis with Smart Covers, $5 for Griffin styluses, and $70 for Apple wireless keyboards.
Placing a Hold or a Recall
Is the book you need already checked out? Place a hold (anytime) or recall (after 28 days) on it in person at the Check-Out Desk on the first floor, or online through the Pfau Library OneSearch. We will notify you via email when it is returned. Another solution that may be faster is to request the book through our Interlibrary Loan service. Holds or recalls may not be made on laptops and calculators.
Placing a Search Request
Can't locate an item on the shelf? Place a search request on it at the Check-Out Desk on the first floor. You will be notified by email if the item is located.
Paying Fines or Fees
Payment may be made:
- Online by logging in to My Library Account.
- In person at the Check-Out Desk with cash or check
- By mail (make check payable to CSUSB Library) and send to:
5500 University Parkway
San Bernardino, CA 92407-2397
Attn: Circulation Dept.
When balance is paid in full, “Holds” on University Records will normally be cleared within 2 business days.